Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Both my partner and I gave our 25 lb terrier 25 mg of

Customer Question

Both my partner and I gave our 25 lb terrier 25 mg of acepromazine (we hadn't coordinated who would give the dog tonight's medication. Now the dog is getting drowsy. Should I do something or just let him sleep it off?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the terrier. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Seabiscuit is 14 years old. In great shape, but has been anxious at bedtime.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Seabiscuit?
Customer: Not really. He has no other health concerns.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Acepromazine will cause pretty profound sedation at this dose. It can also drop the blood pressure. I would try to make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids. Keep a close eye on his gum color. If it starts looking grey or pale, then I would get him to a vet.

We don't really have a lot to reverse Ace, but we can put them on IV fluids and meds to increase the blood pressure. That is usually the most that we need for these dogs that get an overdose. My guess is that he'll just sleep it off at home over the next 12-24 hours and not need any more aggressive care.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.