Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

A chi with grand mal seizures, Rescued one month ago 11 yrs

Customer Question

Hi a chi with grand mal seizures
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Rescued one month ago 11 yrs female Had first seizure sat and has not stopped She has had Valium Did X-ray we thought she may have had closed pyromtra but not Temp norm today on iv fluids In coma She is blind we are not sure of any medical history
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.

I am very sorry for what is happened to your chi.

Unfortunately, the differentials for what can cause a seizure in a pet that is over about 8-9 years of age are not ideal.

Less than 7-8 years of age, it is still possible that a seizure is epilepsy. Meaning, genetic in origin, and there is no test that will find a definitive cause.

When older, the chances that a seizure is due to a more serious infection, inflammatory disease or cancer is quite high.

So, if your Chi had a severe seizure and is now poorly responsive, you will want to have a very real discussion with your vet about whether euthanasia should be considered within the next 24-48 hours if not improving at all.

Very very sorry to hear about the seizures but hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?