Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 7 year old mini schnauzer has crusty bumps along the

Customer Question

my 7 year old mini schnauzer has crusty bumps along the edges of both her ears. vet proscribed antibiotic, medicated shampoo, and prednisone. almost done with that. i am massaging the shampoo into her ears most every day, and try to scrape it off. vet has also scraped them off. initially, there were pustules under the crusts, but the antibiotic seems to have taken care of that. she doesn't appear to be bothered by this--there's no itching or scratching going on. what do you think? would omegas help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.

Sorry you have ongoing skin problems with your pet. There are several conditions that I see commonly in this area including ear margin vasculitis (inflamed vessels), fungal infections, and potentially demodexx mites.

It is good that most of the lesions have resolved with treatment. Omega 3's are always good for skin and is a safe treatment to try.

Did you pet diagnose your pet with anything in particular that caused this?

Do you have a picture of the ear to send to me? I can get a better idea of what we are dealing with here. You can attach the file to the chat by clicking on the toolbar icon just above the chat box.

- Dr. H