Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I threw some old cooking oil outside in the woods and 35

Customer Question

I threw some old cooking oil outside in the woods and 35 pitboxer mix got ahold of it and she's vomited several times what should i do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no just the oil
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: chyna
JA: Huh?
Customer: chyna -china spelled with a y
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she weighs 35 lbs and she is a boxer pit mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.

Absolutely, Chyna needs to be seen by a vet. Why?

She has gotten in to a product that could easily cause severe stomach distress, as well as, pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is very serious and can result in bad abdominal pain, persistent nausea, and repeated vomiting. This is common when a pet eats something oily, fatty, or greasy.

You could give an antacid to try and help settle the stomach some, but I strongly advise to get in to a vet, any vet, today!

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?