Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Pavo virus My 2 puppies have this virus I'm loosing them

Customer Question

Pavo virusMy 2 puppies have this virus I'm loosing them they might die
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added some dierriea blood from my 2 puppies
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If you can, I would have both puppies hospitalized at a vet clinic. With hospitalization and aggressive care, we get a > 90% survival rate. I usually have them on IV fluids, anti-nausea meds, antibiotics and I'll have a naso-gastric tube in place to trickle feed them.

If you can't get them hospitalized, the survival rate drops to 30-50% with at home care. In those puppies, I still have owners give injectable fluids under the skin 1-2 times daily (ie sub-Q fluids). I also have them give anti-nausea meds and antibiotics orally. Lastly, I would syringe feed some canned food every 2-4 hours. Small volumes ever 2-4 hours to keep nutrients going to the gut.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The vet is visiting me and we have the IV and antibiotics given to them
In Saudi we are not much updated with things and vets and not really the best.Can I give milk thistle ?
So the food can be given to them with forice even if they flush it out ?
Can I boil food for them or prefers canned food
Shall I give flagyl pills ?
I have also some electrolysis , shall I give them ?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Milk thistle is for liver disease, that's not needed here. It won't help at all.

Yes, the food can be given with a syringe. That's the best way to get the gut lining to heal- get food to it.

You can boil chicken or hamburger, but I prefer a blended canned food/ water as it's easier to syringe.

Flagyl (Metronidazole) is the ideal antibiotic for these puppies, I usually give that.

Electrolytes (ie Pedialyte) can also be given with the food. That stuff you have can be syringed with the food/ water.