Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a 15+ year old and it coughs/weezes like it has

Customer Question

Hello, we have a 15+ year old ***** ***** and it coughs/weezes like it has issue with it's breathing. It has done this on a increasing scale for about 2-3 months now. Dog does not look like it is in distress and is eating ok. When it does it is mostly during night time but does less during the day. Any clue as to why?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. With an older dog like this, there could be many reasons why he is coughing as such. An enlarged heart, congestive heart failure (usually more wet sounding), heartworm disease (if not on prevention), lung tumors and chronic allergic bronchitis would be the most common causes we would look for. Chronic bronchitis tends to be the most common cause. I would recommend getting your vet to take an x-ray of his chest and run some blood work. Most likely, the x-ray will uncover the source of the coughing if in the lungs. It is possible to have a mass in the trachea but that is less common. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.