Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Looking without having to go to vet again, just like a few

Customer Question

looking for momentamax without having to go to vet again
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: just like a few months ago....the dog groomer bathed her and probably didn't dry her ears right. probably yeast again. no signs of mites or bleeding, no odor now just head shaking x1 day
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: do u charge for this vet contact?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

It sounds like you're dealing with an ear infection. The common signs include itching at the ears, shaking the head and inflammation/ debris visualized in the ear canal.

These can be treated with topical ear medication. The meds include an anti-fungal for the yeast, antibiotic for the bacteria and steroid for the inflammation in the ear canal. Otomax and Mometamax are the most commonly used. They are not available over the counter, so you will need to get a vet prescription. Many vets will refill it for a dog that they have seen in the last 12 months, so I'd call them first and ask.

In the mean time, you can clean out the ears with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution or over the counter ear cleansing solution.

You can also give Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed for the itching.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?