Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hello. Thanks for the question.
As long as the heat pack was activated, it's no longer all that concerning if ingested. The activation changes the form of iron and prevents it from being toxic in the gut. The most we typically see is some mild GI upset- vomiting/ diarrhea.
If the vomiting is excessive, I'll treat with anti-nausea meds and fluids. I may also shoot x-rays to make sure it didn't cause an obstruction. More often than not, we just let it pass and no signs are seen in the dogs.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Yes, you can feed him normally.