Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 50lb pitbull puppy who is just about 5 months old

Customer Question

Hi I have a 50lb pitbull puppy who is just about 5 months old he ate a part of a thermacare heat wrap. It was an old one so it wasn't active anymore. It is air activated it looks like black sand inside. The box says it contains iron
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

As long as the heat pack was activated, it's no longer all that concerning if ingested. The activation changes the form of iron and prevents it from being toxic in the gut. The most we typically see is some mild GI upset- vomiting/ diarrhea.

If the vomiting is excessive, I'll treat with anti-nausea meds and fluids. I may also shoot x-rays to make sure it didn't cause an obstruction. More often than not, we just let it pass and no signs are seen in the dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you! Should I feed him as normal? It's been about 30-45 minutes now and he hasn't vommited or has diarrhea

Yes, you can feed him normally.