Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My Havenese quit eating. Is throwing up blood after a fall.

Customer Question

My Havenese quit eating. Is throwing up blood after a fall. Hasn't eaten or drank any water. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog fell and is having this problem.

How bad was the fall?

How long has she been without eating any food?

Is she on any medications at all right now?

How long has she been vomiting up blood?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is not moving. Fall was yesterday. No medication. All. Day yesterday and now through night. He crawled under the couch. Twitching. I just don't know what to do
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vomited blood three times tonight. Nothing else because he hasn't eaten.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I apologize, but I am unable to do a phone call right at this moment.

Given the signs you are describing, I recommend that your dog see a veterinarian as soon as possible. The signs may be due to severe trauma and I worry about a significant gastrointestinal bleed. When any human or pet is vomiting up blood and not wanting to eat, it is definitely advised to have a doctor visit. The vet will likely want to check some baseline bloodwork to look for anemia or other blood abnormalities as well as taking x-rays to look for abnormalities in the belly. If you are able to get to a vet, I would do that as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He had a tick removed Sun at grooming. We are questioning limes disease ? He ran off porch and fell about 20 feet.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I would think lyme is unlikely unless your dog is not on monthly flea/tick prevention every month. Potentially anaplasmosis, however tick prevention every month would make that unlikely as well. These are however very easy things to test for (small blood sample) so I would recommend testing just to rule it out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should I do until tomorrow ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Most likely this is related to severe trauma from falling.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

With the vomiting, it is unlikely oral medications will help you at this point. There is not much I can recommend at the moment until he gets to a vet as oral anti-inflammatory/pain medications can worsen bleeding so he will need other types of pain meds to help with that as well as injectable medications to avoid him vomiting the meds right back up on an empty stomach. I would take him to the vet as soon as possible, which will likely require a trip to the emergency vet. If you cannot do that, I would keep him rested and avoid access to stairs so there is no risk of falling down the stairs. You can give pepcid AC (famotidine) at 1mg per pound of body weight once or prilosec (omeprazole) at 0.5 mg per pound of body weight once to help the stomach if you have some available, but he may or may not vomit it back up.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

If your dog seems to be declining between now and when your vet opens up, I recommend heading to an emergency vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There isn't one in my area 8-(
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I see. That makes things difficult. What is your zip code? I might be able to find one relatively close.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
15601
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Here is one close to you. About 30-35 minutes from you:

Allegheny Veterinary Emergency Trauma and Specialty

4224 Northern Pike, Monroeville, PA 15146

avets.com

(###) ###-####/p>
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Does everything make sense to you today from our discussion? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. This is a scam. You charged 28 bucks for each text. My bank shut down my card. Thank you very much. I shouldn't even reply to this. I am disputing all the charges and now have no way to pay for things until I get a new card.
First commonwealth is going to shut this site down.
By the way. Dawson is dead.