Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 12 year year olf Bichon just had two teeth removed about

Customer Question

My 12 year year olf Bichon just had two teeth removed about 14 hours ago and she whining in pain, but I wasn't given any thing or directions to help her. it is 4 and I don't know how to help her. What cn I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: She hadn't been feeling good for quite some time, but the blood work was good.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm dismayed to hear that an analgesic wasn't prescribed for Abby to be taken after her extractions. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals should be helpful. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen as they're toxic to dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Excellent advice. Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.