Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had diarrhea all night and when i walked her she

Customer Question

Hi! My name is***** dog had diarrhea all night and when i walked her she tried pooping but couldn't get anything out and make strange noises as if she was in pain. She hasn't eaten her food very quickly, but ate some. She also was eager to play when I offered. Do I need to take her to the ER? Is she ok? Could we wait until the morning?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes she is an 11 year old papillon
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Most likely the straining was due to the irritation of her colon due to the diarrhea. Sometimes dogs who are having a severe bout of diarrhea will experience the feeling that they have to have a bowel movement but nothing will come out because they have already pooped everything out!

Is your dog still energetic? Does she seem weak at all? Any vomiting? If you look at her gums are they pink and moist?