Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Sorrell my puppy is a 12 wk old shelties and has bloody

Customer Question

Sorrell my puppy is a 12 wk old shelties and has bloody diaharua and committing foam/ brownish color she won't keep fluids down and can't afford ER vet please help me
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has had three litter mates to die and I thought they might have gotten into potting soil but not sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Has been going on since late yesterday evening and she weighs approx. 4 lbs

The 3 litter mates that died also showed the same symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2 died yesterday but their symptoms started a day earlier she's the only one I have left and belongs to my daughter who is very upset

I am sorry. Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A little pale but not white like the others were
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been able to get a small amount of water in her today with a syringe

How many hours has it been since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just a few minutes ago

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's not walking very well hard for her to walk straight line almost lethargic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I give her zofran under her tongue the one that dissolves
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also have Gatorade
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her gum color is white now!!!

Friend, the symptoms and history you describe is consistent with a disease called Parvo virus. This is a very aggressive virus that affects the cells in the intestines, bone marrow and sometimes the heart of young puppies. The difficulty in treating parvo is keeping the puppy hydrated because of the constant vomiting/diarrhea. In addition, secondary bacterial infections that can occur. Could there be other possible causes? Yes, there are many other viruses, parasites or bacteria that can cause similar symptoms. But, the fact that other litter mates shared similar symptoms I would place parvo very high on the list of possible causes.

I understand that you have some financial constraints. But, this puppy needs to be treated by a veterinarian at least as an outpatient. Ideally she should be on IV fluids and no food or water orally until the vomiting is under control. But, if you can not afford for her to be hospitalized you can discuss with attending veterinarian about doing the following:

1- Teaching you how to give fluids under the skin to keep her hydrated.

2- Giving an injection of a long acting antibiotic (convenia).

3- You will give a strong anti nausea medicine (maropitant) injection under the skin once a day.

If you can do the above this will greatly increase the chances of survival for your puppy. Giving her things orally will cause her to vomit more and make things worst. If you can not have her seen by ER vet tonight to start her on the above plan then look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give things like pepto bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for the next 2-3 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue offering small amount of water every hour. In addition, give her a teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian as discussed above.

Note: If you are seeing her gums pale this further supports my above assessment. Highly recommend having her checked by ER vet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have some red blood cell med from my vet for my other dog it was for his liver but cannot read the name could I give her that?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does the oatmeal water work?

No friend, if you continue giving her things orally she will continue to vomit making matters worst. Follow the above recommendations.

Please reply if you have additional questions.