Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My lab 3 years old and relatively healthy with all shots up

Customer Question

My lab 3 years old and relatively healthy with all shots up to date has an unusual odor coming from his anal area. This area that is normally pink is now dark brown. So I washed his anal area and it was pink again. Two days later again I noticed it was dark again along with odor coming back. I washed his area again. It appears it's dried feces around that small area. But he has not had any loose stool at all. Now I'm concerned. Any ideas as to what is wrong. Nothing looks swollen, it actually looks fine after I wash him. He feels uncomfortable until I wash him, then he seems to be fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the odor like very bad and strong?

2- Is she rubbing the butt on the floor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kamper (my lab) male, does not and has not rubbed or scooted on his anal area. And the odor doesn't smell like his anal glands, as I remember that odor from my it her dogs. It's not pleasant, but it's not normal either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other dogs
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

IT may be that Kamper has a mild staph infection in this area caused by some feces that has gotten stuck in this area. This will cause a Pyoderma on the skin that can be very smelly but a different smell from anal glands. The best treatment for this is to wash this area daily and the apply Betadine after the wash which will dry out this area so the bacteria that is causing this terrible odor cannot grow. This can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. If this does not resolve within a few days, have your vet examine Kamper to be sure we have not missed anything. This can be fairly common when they have some soft stool.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How often should I wash the dogs anal area, and how often should I use the Betadine? Is this mild infection going to go inside him? I've been pretty good at washing him before I asked anything. I'm concerned, he is family, and I don't want him uncomfortable.

You should do this every 12 hrs for the first few days and then daily for the rest of the week. This infection is only on the skin and will not go inside....it is only superficial. This will be very effective and make your guy more comfortable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome! Please let me know how things are going after a few days and I may be able to direct you further.

Have a great day!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far the Betadine seems to help. My dog has even allowed me to wash him in that area, which was a bit of a struggle at first. He's 125 lbs, not a light weight. I'll keep your name for future use. Thank you.

That is so great!! I did not realize that Kamper was so large...cleaning must be tough for the big guy! Good job!!!