Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Dog drank some water with Epsom salt and is throwing up do I

Customer Question

Dog drank some water with Epsom salt and is throwing up do I need to worry or will she be fine I'm not sure how much she drank
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your dog. How long ago did she drink this water and Epsom salt mixture? Was she acting completely fine prior to this ingestion? How old is she? How long ago did she last vomit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She drank it last nite was in my wife's bath so probably pretty diluted last vomited 430 this evening she seems fine now she was born towards end of August

Thank you for getting back to me. The ingestion of Epsom salt for the most part aren't that bad. They can cause possible cramping and nausea. For the most part in otherwise healthy patients the more serious issues are with chronic use or overdoses. It can cause muscle weakness and neurologic issues too. If she's acting normal now, then it wouldn't be too concerning with that ingestion of the Epsom salts last night in the bath water. Hopefully it just caused the nausea and she's over that. IF she was to continue to have vomiting, then I'd be concerned. Could the vomiting be due to something else? Could something else have been ingested to upset the stomach? Could she have something that she ate that isn't passing through well? At home, basically for vomiting the best thing an owner can do is to pull food and water for 6 hours to let the stomach rest. After that time, then small amounts of water and bland food can be started (a mixture of 1/3 boiled chicken and 2/3 white rice). If the vomiting is happening still despite pulling up food and water, then it would make me recommend getting her seen.