Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My four month old bulldog puppy(29 pounds) just ate a

Customer Question

my four month old bulldog puppy(29 pounds) just ate a Trifexis pill..What can happen to him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What weight category was the pill?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
60-120
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was giving it to my adult dog and she spit it out
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there

Please give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the active ingredients in Trifexis have a very wide safety margin. In experimental studies dogs have been given spinosad at doses of 100mg/kg for 10 days and vomiting was the only symptom noticed. In this case your dog took a dose of 124mg/kg. As far as milbemycin it has a bigger safety margin than spinosad. I don't believe this is going to be life threatening for your dog, she may experience some vomiting otherwise she will be fine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter