Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My vet has diagnosed my rat terrier with severe kidney

Customer Question

my vet has diagnosed my rat terrier with severe kidney failure two weeks ago. we have been giving her iv water 150 ml every other day and she appears normal. should i get a second opinion?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rat terrier's name and age?
Customer: luna-12 years
JA: What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: no. please just answer the question!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm pleased to hear that her supplemental fluids have normalized her. I would be pleased to give you a second opinion including whether or not she needs to continue receiving those fluids. To do so, I need you to upload a copy of Luna's most recent test results to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Luna's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can review those test results. I not only do so but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?