Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****. And I have an 8lb puppy that just

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. And I have an 8lb puppy that just stole 1/4 slice of supreme pizza. Pizza had small amounts of onions, cheese, sausage, pepporoni, mushrooms, green peppers on it. How much of it that was on the part she ate, I don't know. Should I be concerned.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok. What kind of further details. I have an 8lb puppy that just stole 1/4 slice of supreme pizza. Pizza had small amounts of onions, cheese, sausage, pepporoni, mushrooms, green peppers on it. How much of it that was on the part she ate, I don't know. Should I be concerned.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. The deposit has been paid.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

The only concern is the onions but it takes quite of bit of onion to cause onion toxicosis (a type of anemia). Generally, most dogs need to eat at least 0.5% (5 grams/kg) of body weight of onions to become intoxicated. That would be equivalent to 18 grams (0.6 ounce) of onions - an unlikely amount in 1/4 of a slice of supreme pizza. You may see transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - from ingesting such an unusual food but not toxicity.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?