Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Her urine is bright yellow. She does not act sick in any

Customer Question

Her urine is bright yellow. She does not act sick in any way, but she was vomiting and I gave her a rice and chicken diet and she is doing well now. Just concerned about the color of the urine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. She is a shi-tuz /bishon mix. Pretty much a house dog.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has it been since she was vomiting?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend, urine color is largely determined by the hydration of the dog. For example, if the dog is not drinking much the kidneys will conserve water and the urine will be more yellow than a dog that is drinking lots of water.

There are medical disorders like increases in bilirubin in the blood that will also cause the urine to be more yellow. In this case, if she was vomiting it is likely that she was dehydrated and for this reason the urine is more yellow than usual. If she is currently drinking as usual, not vomiting and the urine continues to be bright yellow I would have her checked by family veterinarian to make certain this is not related to increases in bilirubin.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Barbara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter