Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy may or may not have eaten one of my older lab's

Customer Question

My puppy may or may not have eaten one of my older lab's proin tablets or Rimadyl tablet - I gave it to my lab and she dropped it, the puppy picked it up and I think dropped it and the lab got it - but I am not sure. The puppy seemed perfectly fine an hour after this happened - how long would it take symptoms to show if the puppy got the medicine?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Lab is 100 lbs, puppy is 10 lbs, dose of either pill is half of the labs dose.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What milligrams was each tablet (so I can work our the exposure dose)?

How long ago may this have been?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened at 5:45 this morning, she had no symptoms as of 7:10 this morning. I think Proin is 50 mg, I'm not sure on the Rimadyl - I had to go in to work so am not at home. The Rimadyl is for a 100lb lab and she takes 2 a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would have been one or the other not both - my lab dropped one of her pills and the puppy darted in to see what was dropped, but then it looked like the lab picked it back up - but I'm not sure.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I do appreciate you are not sure, but in a case where we re not we have to err on the side of caution with out small pups.

With that in mind, the Prion is a lesser issue in this case as its main side effects are restlessness, aggressiveness, and elevation of the blood pressure. And we'd likely have had a hint of these if she had this that long ago.

Otherwise, the reason I asked about the Rimadyl's strength is because there is a dosing range and not one set dose for a Labs. Therefore, if she gets one tablet twice daily, I can only assume she has been getting 100mg tablets. And if that is something your pup could have gotten, then that is a problem. While its not a dose that is likely to damage the pup's kidneys, it certainly cause GI upset and even more worrying a stomach ulcer. And I have to note that we may not see signs of the latter for a good 24 hours. So, we need to tread with care.

In regards ***** ***** to watch for, we'd have to be monitoring for appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain, paling of the gums or black stools. Any of those signs would tell us that the gut is at least irritating but may be becoming damaged.

Now since it has already been over an hour, we are past a point where we could induce vomiting to get the tablets back. Therefore, our main protective step here would be to use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. And be aware if you use this, it will cause black stool itself but obviously we'd expect it with that.

Finally, since gut damage is a worry, we'd want to consider having this pup on gastroprotectants from her vet. Though in the meantime, you can start an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) to reduce stomach acid pH and thus risk of ulcers. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we'd want to feed small frequent meals of a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to give the acid something else to chew on besides the pups stomach wall.

Overall, if we aren't sure if the pup had the tablets, then we need to err on the side of caution. therefore, we'd want to use the above now while monitoring closely for those signs I noted. If the pup remains stable we are happy, but any of those signs and we'd want it seen urgently to offset this risk here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )