Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate my husbands silk eye shades. They are single

Customer Question

Hi Dr ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog ate my husbands silk eye shades. They are single strap Alaska bear silk eye shades with one small piece of plastic to change the size. I can't even be sure if he ate them but we have looked everywhere and it wouldn't be the first time he ate something whole. He has eaten socks and passed them and a previous pair of eye shades that were all just cloth. I think these are all silk and that small piece of plastic. I am hoping these too he will pass. But of course now I am worried if I should take him to the vet to get xrays.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested your husband's silk eye shades.

I understand that he has a history of eating things he should not and successfully passing them.

The two concerns here would be if the shades got wadded up it could cause a blockage and if part of the shades got caught and the cloth became unraveled the strings can act like a hacksaw on the intestine walls.

These may pass, as things have before, but if has been less than 2-3 hours since he ate them it may be worth trying to induce vomiting to get them out before they cause any trouble.

You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks, or mixed with ice cream or a little food (no more than 3 tablespoons at a time even for a pup greater than 35 pounds).

Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the shades are present.

Once he clears his stomach to try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether he vomits the foreign material or not to help push any remaining pieces through.

If it has been less than 3 hours and you don't have peroxide or he doesn't vomit you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If it has been longer than 3 hours it is likely too late to induce vomiting, then just feed him the high fiber bland diet mix and watch him for signs of irritation or a blockage.

If he starts vomiting in the next few days, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****