Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My akc dachshund is a mini, she is having her 2nd heat, it

Customer Question

hi,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my akc dachshund is a mini, she is having her 2nd heat, it started about a week ago and she is still bleeding. It is not a lot of blood but red still.. She is very swollen. this evening she was laying in her bed and she started yelling like she was in severe pain. when I hold her, she is fine, but she has screamed a couple times like someone has stepped on her.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Dachshund. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is she? Is this second heat coming 6 months after the first?

Dogs usually have a bloody discharge for 3 weeks when they go into heat, so it is not unusual for her to be having a red discharge after a week. That would actually be normal, and would continue for a couple weeks more.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Is she normally active, and moving about normally? The first thing we always worry about when a Dachshund screams in pain for no apparent reason is back or neck pain from an inflamed disc in the spine.

I just did some research, and found a number of references to dogs that seem to have back pain or joint pain when they go into heat, but the reason is unknown. I would have her checked out by your veterinarian and if she seems healthy and this seems to be a normal heat cycle, giving her pain or anti inflammatory medication may help.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and let me know how she is doing. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Can I answer anything else?