Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an 8 week old puppy. He's sleeping and breathing

Customer Question

I have an 8 week old puppy. He's sleeping and breathing pretty rapidly. Then it's almost like he stops breathing. I rouse him and then he goes right back to sleep. Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you and Hank have many happy years together!

I know it is scary but unfortunately it is normal. I have thought the same thing when my dogs were puppies and would rouse them because I was terrified they weren't going to start breathing again but as they stop the breathing pattern, their body builds up CO2 and that causes them to breath again when you aren't with them. It is a somewhat normal variation in puppies at this age during REM of sleep

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!