Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She is a 13 yrs old shepard mix and has been what appears to

Customer Question

she is a 13 yrs old shepard mix and has been what appears to be constipated for past few weeks...she keeps squatting and straining ...and only has an occasional thin stool...have kept her on wet dog food along with giving her some canned pumpkin over past few days and still no improvement...thinking about trying to give her some miralax??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: zena..she is a 50# ***** mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zena?
Customer: so far she has been in good health...i am going to get her to the vet this week...but can't get her in till the end of the week..but she is still eating, drinking and does not seem to be in any pain when i push on her stomach
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, it sounds like she may be constipated. This is what you can try:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Continue adding pumpkin to her food, increasing fiber helps with regularity.

3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1/2 to 1 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would try to get her in to see family veterinarian sooner than the end of the week.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter