Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate part of a bath towel, Zoey. She is a chocolate

Customer Question

My dog ate part of a bath towel
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey. She is a chocolate lab, around 9 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: She has been throwing up her food for the past day or so. Other than that, she appears to be fine. She is still playful, still wants to eat, and she has been drinking water fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the towel?

2- I will assume the vomiting has occurred after she ate the towel?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We believe she ate the towel on Thursday. We have a towel that we keep in her crate. She's only in her crate during the day when we are not home with her. Anyways, she first got sick Friday morning, but she just threw up her food. Today, she got sick, and I noticed that there were threads from the towel. We found the towel in her crate, and it appeared to have large holes.

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is still being her lively, goofy self. She is still playing with her toys. Also, she has been going to the bathroom ok. The last time she got sick was about 11am. She spit up some water and flew around 2pm. She weighs about 45 pounds.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do we know if she has a blockage and what do we do to help her pass it?

Friend, the concern is that she may have part of the towel obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract as you already know. To determine if she does have a blockage she will need to have xrays with barium from family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Hold the food and water for 3-4 hours to control the vomiting.

3- After 3-4 hours offer small amount of water, if no vomiting after 1/2 hour feed her a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move any part of the towel out in the feces. Make sure you are checking her stool for the towel.

4- If at any point she becomes lethargic, anorexic, continues vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with ER veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction, otherwise follow up with family veterinarian for xrays with barium. It is best to treat her before she becomes clinically ill.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter