How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7107
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ingested unknown quantity of dicacsinone rat poison 10

Customer Question

Dog ingested unknown quantity of dicacsinone rat poison 10 minutes ago. Saw her pick it up and pulled some from mouth so don't think it was huge amount
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your dog who has just ingested some diphacinone rat bait. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Luckily you saw your girl pick this up and ingest some of it, so we know in good time that she has some of the dicphacinone rat bait in her system. This is an anticoagulant rat bait and causes the same issue in dogs who ingest it. It generally takes 48 - 72 hours to develop symptoms of this ingestion if you don't do anything now. Because she has ingested it within the past 10 - 15 minutes or so, she should hopefully vomit this up pretty easily. Therefore, the best way to proceed here is to induce vomiting. You can either try this from home, or if you aren't comfortable with this, get her straight down to your local vet now who can get her to vomit using 'apomorphine'. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been less than half an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you attempt to get her to vomit as per the instructions in the link above and nothing happens, or she vomits, but there is no sign of the rat bait, then you are best of getting her down to your local vet or ER vet still where they can try her with apomorphine to induce vomiting, and give activated charcoal if deemed necessary, to absorb any remaining bait in her system. With this treatment it is unlikely your girl will need any further action here, however the vet may want to check clotting profiles, and if worried, potentially even give vitamin K as a precaution to help prevent any clotting issues. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.