Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Both my dogs eyes rolled back into her head seconds.. after

Customer Question

both my dogs eyes rolled back into her head for several seconds.. after that she was fine..and has seeemed fine for several hours now.. what do you think
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zenyatta. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Most of the time when dog owners think the eyes rolled back in the head, it was actually that the eyes were partially covered by the third eyelids. Here is a picture; is this what you saw?

http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-has-red-englarged-third-eyelid-itchy-eyes.html

Dogs can use their third eyelids to clean the eyes, protect the eyes, as a "windshield wiper". If the eyes went back to normal after just a few seconds, and her eyes are not red or abnormal looking now, this was probably not any thing serious.

It is almost impossible for the eyes to actually roll back in their sockets, so this is probably what happened. Let me know what else I can help with and if this is helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is she doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Hi June,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zenyatta. How is everything going?