Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been favoring her nd leg after yelping when she

Customer Question

My dog has been favoring her hind leg after yelping when she was moved on my lap. Since then she isn't able to use it to "push off" when jumping. She will also hold it up. I have tried to extend her leg and see if she has movement and it is tight. Any help??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. Most common injuries with what you are describing would be a knee injury or a hip injury. As long as she is putting weight on it, and you do not see any swelling, it can wait until tomorrow to be seen by a vet.

If she is not on any medications and she does not have any underlying health issues you can give her human aspirin for pain or inflammation.

5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

For example a 10 pound dog would take 50 mg of aspirin every 12 hours.

Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

Try to get her to rest.

That means no jumping, running, or playing.

If she is not back to normal tomorrow and using the leg well ten she should see a vet.

Emergency clinics are open 24/7 if she gets worse or you want to locate the site of injury today.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars.

Thank you !!!