Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My name is ***** ***** my dog was digging at some bricks in

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** my dog was digging at some bricks in the yard and separated one of his nails completely in half. It was full of dirt so cleaned it out completely you can see the pink nail bed I put antibiotic ointment between the nail and the bed and wrapped his paw anything else I should do and is there anything I can give him to help him relax
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's an 80lbs lab pit mix 9 yrs old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog tore his nail. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You did all you can at home by cleaning it and applying the antibiotic ointment. I will use a local anesthetic to remove any piece of nail that is loose or dangling, and start pain medication. Do you have any pain medication previously prescribed for him?

You could try aspirin for pain, but aspirin thins the blood and could cause the nail to start bleeding again.

Keep it clean, keep putting the antibiotic ointment on. If it is painful, have your veterinarian decide whether to remove part or all of the nail and to get you some pain medication.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer! Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.