Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I 't know how to continue the discussion - hopefully

Customer Question

I don't know how to continue the discussion - hopefully this works..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dog has been vomiting and hasn't eaten in 4 days. She's also urinating very frequently. She has had her vitals checked and they were fine. The vet did notice several swollen lymph nodes (neck area) and I'm awaiting the results of a test on them and also a urinalysis.Is this likely Lymphoma or it there hope it might be something else?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

I will need a little more information to better help you.

Was she given any medication by your vet or is she currently hospitalized now?

If she was given medication, what was she given?

Has she had any x-rays of the chest or an ultrasound of the abdomen yet?

How many lymph nodes are swollen and are they large enough you can feel them?

Is your dog on flea/tick prevention and was she tested for any tick borne diseases like ehrlichia?

Did she have any bloodwork checked at the visit (blood chemistry and complete blood count) and was that all normal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not hospitalized. Was given an anti inflammatory injection, an antibiotic and a pain killer. Also something to help with diarrhea.Her blood sample and preliminary x-rays were fine. Currently eating on a test done on her lymph nodes and a urinalysis. I'm not sure how many nodes are swollen but I think it's a few.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
By "eating" I mean waiting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I see. Big lymph nodes are most commonly due to 2 major diseases: lymphoma and Ehrlichiosis. Lymphoma has a characteristic appearance on cytology (looking at a sample under the microscope) which lets you know lymphoma is present. Bloodwork for Ehrlichiosis usually shows some changes to the protein levels and cell counts, but there is a rapid over the counter test for Ehrlichia that is very accurate and easy to do. Golden retrievers and labrador retrievers are very prone to lymphoma, so I would be worried this is most likely the case.

Lymph nodes can be swollen for other reasons as well including skin disease and dental disease, so if the mouth is terrible or skin is super itchy and infected, the lymph nodes can get big from that as well. I would expect you to have test results back tomorrow if the sample made it to the lab on Friday. it can sometimes take a few days to get those results.

If it is lymphoma, I would consult with an oncologist as many dogs do quite well with a lymphoma protocol and can live 1-2+ years with chemotherapy and still have a good quality of life. We don't hit dogs hard with chemo like we do people, so they tend to still have a good quality of life even when going through that medication.

If it is Ehrlichia, a couple weeks of doxycycline will take care of it.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Does all of that make sense to you? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time.

I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not well. She was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma. And after a really hard last couple of days, I decided to put her down.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear that. Euthanasia is always a difficult decision and I know this must be very hard on you. Stay strong and take care. It will take time to heal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.