Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Why does my dog urinate in her bed she is a mongrel and her

Customer Question

Why does my dog urinate in her bed she is a mongrel and her bed is in kitchen im at wits end with washing and changing every couple of days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There are several possible reasons for what you report. The most common cause is Tia may have developed incontinence due to a deficiency of estrogen, which happens after female dogs are spayed. This is easily treated with prescription medication from your veterinarian (phenylpropanolamine or a hormone supplement). However, she may have develops a urinary tract infection or bladder stone which makes her bladder more sensitive and she easily urinates especially when at rest. These too are treatable. Alternatively, some dogs develops a problem that causes increased urine to develop such as kidney issues or liver problems.

The first step to diagnosing this is a trip to see her veterinarian. She needs an examination followed by testing that should include a urinalysis (+/- urine culture and lab work such as chemistry profile and complete blood count). This should help narrow down which of the causes I mentioned is going on.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't think its her age she is very active and alert I also own a cat who was here before we got her do you think it might be a territorial issue and if so what do I do to resolve this issue
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.

If she is only urinating when at rest then this is not marking. Marking happens when awake and the dog will go to a specific location. I would be most suspicious of a true medical issues such as urinary tract infection or hormone-responsive urinary incontinence.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 9 months ago.
Hi Michele,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey