Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My name is ***** ***** and I was looking into broken dew

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I was looking into broken dew claws information because my husband and I noticed tonight our dog's dew claw is broken near the middle.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It looks like it was bleeding at one point but I can't tell if it is near the quick or not. She has the broken part hanging off and to the side. She is a german shepherd and the nail is all black so it's hard for me tell.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl has a broken dewclaw nail. If the nail is broken near the middle then it is likely the quick is affected and if you see blood then it definitely is.
Once that happens it is painful, as every time she hits the loose nail that places sharp pressure on her quick, and it won't re-adhere. The loose nail piece needs to be removed. If we don't remove it she will lick, because it hurts, which introduces bacteria into the raw quick, and the quick will be traumatized by the loose nail, both of which can lead to a painful secondary infection in the nailbed.
Although certainly not an emergency ideally she would see her veterinarian as soon as possible to have the nail removed before the quick gets infected.

If she is licking it is best to place an elizabethan collar on her so she cannot further traumatize the nail bed.
Best of luck with your girl and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****