Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I had bougvilla flowers in a race and the water had dripped

Customer Question

I had bougvilla flowers in a race and the water had dripped out on the cement deck. My pomeranian pulled his food on top of the dried up water stain and I an nervous that there was enough toxic material in the dried up water to effect him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: He just ate his food not plant material, but he took his steak over to the water stain and the steak rubbed against the water stain. Is that enough to be toxic. I took the food away from him after I discover what he did.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Nothing as he is a healthy two year old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your pup ate food that was on top of a dried up water stain from Bougainvillea plant.

I truly would not worry about this.

Bougainvillea is considered a mildly toxic plant. It does not cause systemic illness or organ damage. If a dog eats enough of the plants or flowers they may have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea because it is an irritant.

I highly doubt water from the plant would have enough of the irritant effect from the plant to cause symptoms. Your pup should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****