Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Will surfur poinson a dog, my husband put sulfur on our dogs

Customer Question

Will surfur poinson a dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: my husband put sulfur on our dogs nose to treat a sore. Can it cause her to convulse?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is healthy otherwise. she has had a seizure like episode of stiffining of joints. Can I giver her benadryl
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

In general, sulfur primarily causes stomach upset if it is ingested. In large quantities it can cause some other problems... Including loss of balance and an irregular heart rate... But that would require a larger quantity than I would expect he could use on a nose.

What form was the sulfur in? Was there something else in it or was it just elemental sulfur?