Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 14 week old pitbull is itching really bad. Can I give m a

Customer Question

Hi my 14 week old pitbull is itching really bad. Can I give him a benadryl
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He began scratching alot a few days ago with a little hair loss. I changed his food today but the itching is much worse tonight. He is chewing on his paws and scratching all over. He is up to date on his shots and has no fleas.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that your little Pittie is having issues with itching!

Please try not to do an abrupt food change as this may lead to vomiting and diarrhea in some dogs. A slow transition over 1-2 weeks is advised

Benadryl is 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with itch but may cause mild sedation

You can also bathe in an oatmeal based dog shampoo with ten minute contact time before rinsing once daily until the itching begins to subside and then taper frequency as improvement is seen

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman