Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My golden doodle has been coughing, hacking intermittently

Customer Question

Hi. My golden doodle has been coughing, hacking intermittently for last 24 hours. He threw up small amounts last night and this morning. Now it's just saliva or dry hacking. He still eats and has good appetite. We give him plenty of water. He threw up two small slivers of wood this morning. When he is resting he isn't coughing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

The two most likely scenarios in Yoshi are that the wood he chewed irritated his oropharynx (back of his throat) which then induced his coughing or perhaps his vomitus has irritated his oropharynx and then induced his coughing. The fact that he continues to eat with appetite is a positive prognostic sign and warrants continuing to "watchful wait" and expect his remissing unaided. Exacerbation of his coughing/hacking, instead, should prompt a visual exam of his oropharynx by his vet. I don't expect to see a foreign body in that area as that usually causes qute a bit of distress and ptyalism (excess salivation) but the finding of trauma to the mucous membranes in that area would at least explain why he has become so symptomatic.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.