Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Molly is a maltese. She has a rash on her private area and

Customer Question

molly is a maltese. She has a rash on her private area and she is shivering. her breathing seems heavy. a lot of panting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly and she is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: My wife gave her a bath and after that is when this happened. She was fine before the bath.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the rash there before the bath?

2- Is she licking the rash?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. yes 2. no licking. about 10 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- So the panting started after the bath not because of the rash?

2- Can you post a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she also seems to crying when she moves. eating very little and not drinking at all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

2- Can you post a picture of the rash?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I can not make a live phone call on this thread, I am sorry. I will opt out so another expert can help you.

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is De. Holloway I see that he previous vet has opted out of the conversation. I will be able to assist you further. I see that you requested a phone call consultation I do offer these for customers here and I will gladly accept to assist you further.

Ok accepting now

There was an error with the phone call. I will wait around to see if it is corrected.

I am sorry we could not connect over the phone. I would suggest that if the panting has still continued to take her in to be seen by a veterinarian for further care

However, if the panting stopped it most likely was pain response from her skin potentially. Especially if the area around her vagina is red and inflamed.

I would recommend topical Hydrocortisone cream if there are no open wounds on her. Also she could benefit from some Benadryl given @ 1mg/lb every 8-12 hrs. I would recommend oatmeal baths only for her skin until healed.

If she shows no improvement within 24-48 hrs then a vet visit would do her some good so that she can receive stronger medication.

- Dr. H