Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have pneumonia diagnosed 2/26-now on shots and antibiotics.

Customer Question

I have pneumonia diagnosed 2/26-now on shots and antibiotics. Can my 12+ year old mix dog contract this illness? She tends to sleep more these days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Depending on the cause of the pneumonia it is possible that Kayla contracted a respiratory tract infection. If the pneumonia is an aspiration pneumonia this is not contagious but if it is a result of exposure to kennel cough or canine influenza then she would be at risk. She would show signs of coughing, increased respiratory rate and effort (breaths per minute should be <30, >60 is high), a fever with rectal temperature >103, gums are pale, blue, purple. If she is not showing these symptoms then the increased sleeping is likely unrelated to your other dog having pneumoniaI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!