Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We took m walk in the woods. He did eat something on the

Customer Question

We took him for a walk in the woods. He did eat something on the trail, including some horse manuer. Now he can't settle down - he's up, down, circling around, can't get comfortable. totally hyperactive. Very unusual for him. He's 10 mos. old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He was limping for awhile on the walk. Why would that cause this to happen?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jango
JA: Huh?
Customer: His name is Jango.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jango?
Customer: Not that I know of. He was fine when we went on the walk - running, having fund, etc. He did have a foot issue like I said and was limping for a bit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Jango has been acting oddly tonight. I'll do my best to help.

When I hear of pets who are unable to settle like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or anxiety. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing him myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. It could be that limping or leg issue that you were seeing. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections be up all night pacing and trying to settle. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider anxiety.

Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering him. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara