Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Recently my dog went to a groomer and they told me she 8

Customer Question

Recently my dog went to a groomer and they told me she 8 months old. They told me she had to have her anals repressed?, when she got back home I notice she was all bloody in the vaginal area and she wouldn't even come near me for like two weeks or let me go near her at all. When they have their menstrual cycle it on the outside of the vagina
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. When the anal glands are expressed there should not be any blood unless the anal glands were infected and bloody. The groomer most likely expresses anal glands all the time so I would think they would have told you if they appeared to be infected.

Yes when a dog is in heat or has their menstral cycle the vulva becomes very swollen. Then they bleed red blood out of the vagina/vulva for about a week. Then the drainage becomes straw colored.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

Hi Amy, I can not do a live phone call at the moment. We can continue chatting this way if you would like. Or I can opt out and see if another expert is available.