Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has very bad constipation and has severe difficulty

Customer Question

My dog has very bad constipation and has severe difficulty having a bowel movement!! Can I use Anusol cream meant for humans on my dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, since Anusol is hydrocortisone cream, it can be used in dogs that have rectal irritation or inflammation. So, in regards ***** ***** question, if you are seeing any of these signs then we could use it for Jack. That said, its not going to be much benefit if Jack is constipated. Instead, if he is constipated and straining, we need to be more proactive to help the gut pass this still. Of course, if you see any vomiting, belly pain, and if he were to become distressed with this; then we’d need to have him seen urgently by his vet for an enema under sedation. Though as long as we are not, there are a few tricks you can try at home. To start, we can help relieve mild constipation by using some cow milk. This is because they are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker. Or you can treat him with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, and perhaps best if Jack is really struggling, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into his food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.So, the above treatments would be our options at this stage. Anusol is fine if his rectum is sore but otherwise we need to lubricate the gut to get that stool moving. Of course, as you use these, do keep a close eye on his fecal output. Hopefully, we will see some feces, but if we don’t in the next 8-12 hours, or he begins to vomit or worsen at all, then we’d need to get your local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if he doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then he may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )