Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have a presa canario 6 days ago she ate a corn cob she has

Customer Question

I have a presa canario 6 days ago she ate a corn cob she has had no issues with food or water no pain on palpation woke up this morning with her vomiting. Should I be concerned about obstruction or virus.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Roxie is not feeling well.

Corn cobs can be very dangerous and I have unfortunately removed many corn cobs from the intestines of dogs. These very commonly become lodged in the GI tract. Because we know she ate a corn cob, and she is vomiting, I would recommend having her seen by a vet today. X-rays are needed to rule out any obstruction, and a corn cob has a very characteristic appearance on x-rays making it easy to identify. I think this would be the best course of action. She may require surgery if an obstruction is present. If no obstruction is present, she may just have an upset stomach that will require medication for vomiting and a bland diet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Is surgery always required?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Surgery is only required if the corn cob is causing an obstruction. If it is moving through and has been chewed appropriately, surgery is not required. It just depends on it actually getting stuck. Typically if that is the case, you will see this on x-rays appearing as the intestines filling with gas up to the obstruction.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it odd that she has been fine for 6 days and other then the vomiting seems normal today. Or is that a common thing.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Most often they vomit much later down the road. What happens is that some food gets around it and it moves slowly until it gets stuck (if it is going to get stuck). I had one last summer that I removed in July and the corn cob was eaten on Memorial Day. Typically with corn cobs it takes at least a few days. This could however be due to something completely different and not related to the corn cob at all. We just don't know yet at this point.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for your time.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome. I wish you and Roxie the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in and see how Roxie was doing. Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Otherwise please leave positive feedback for this conversation. Hopefully Roxie is doing well. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took her the vet that afternoon and they did xrays and found no cob so they said she had a gastritis and gave some nausea meds and told me to give her some pepcid for a couple days and a bland diet. She was lazy all weekend but was her complete self yesterday. Thank you very Much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am so glad to hear she is doing well!

Keep her out of trouble!

Please let me know if I can help you at all again. Please also feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time.

Have a wonderful day!