Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a welsh corgi, diagnosed with mega colon.

Customer Question

i have a welsh corgi, diagnosed with mega colon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Jelly Bean. How long has she been dealing with the constipation / megacolon issues? Have they totally cleared out the stool in the colon with enemas and then tried to see if the lactulose and cisapride could keep things moving? Megacolon is typically a situation found in cats. Here is a good link on it. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634Going to a subtotal colectomy is a major step that is typically one that is taken when all dietary and oral management steps have failed. Could Miralax and / or increasing the lactulose dose get the stools soft and passing more regularly? Could changing diets help to maybe get things moving better?