Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog chewed on the tv remote, did not swallow the

Customer Question

my dog chewed on the tv remote, did not swallow the batteries, but appears to have punctured one
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have a question before I can help you properly. Can you tell me what kind of battery this was? Double A, Triple A, button style, etc?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Double A
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Likely if the battery was just punctured by a tooth then nothing will happene. If the inside of the battery touched the lips or tounge it will cause a sore on the lips and tongue that will heal without treatment but may cause some drooling. If any of the inside was removed and swallowed then you'll see bloody vomiting and diarrhea and he'll need to be seen by the vet for ulcer treatments. In most cases however it's hard to swallow the inside of a battery from a simple puncture so most dogs are just fine with no treatment. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Seems to be just a puncure, but the inside did seem to create a mess. My fingers were all black when I retrieved the remote.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

I would wash off his/her mouth with as much water as he/she will tolerate to dliute any acid that touched his tongue or lips.

Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan