Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 3 year old blue pit dog. He's in excellent shape

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old blue pit bull dog. He's in excellent shape and a very big baby. He had a skin tag pop up on his left outside upper thigh. Has been flesh in color. It has continued to grow about the size of a man's thumb. He's recently burned it by standing to close to the fire pit. Could this be a possible type of cancer? Will send photo if I'm able to.
Sincerely,
Denise Hornick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If the mass has a long stalk attached, chances are that it is benign, but there is no way to be 100% sure by looking at it. If he was to develop a cancerous tumor at his age, it would probably be a mast cell tumor. Given that is seems to be causing him some problems already, I would just consider getting it removed. Your vet can send it in for a biopsy to make sure it is not cancerous. If you have a picture you can post to your next message, I would be happy to look at it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hope this helps
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the pictures. Like I said, you cannot be 100% sure by just looking at it, but those masses are typically benign. The problem here, though, is that mass may stay chronically inflamed now, especially if some of the tissue gets necrotic after being burned. With her young age, I would just remove it because it will probably get bigger and may cause more problems. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hi Denise Hornick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zues. How is everything going?
Dr. John