Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog who weighs around 75 to 85 pounds ate a bite of a

Customer Question

My dog who weighs around 75 to 85 pounds ate a bite of a salt dough necklace my daughter's friend made. I'm not sure the salt content since we didn't make it. How concerned should I be with one bite and what should I look for? Since she just ate it are there any steps I can take to try to stop the effects?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

The main issue with salt, is that it can cause hypernatremia (elevated sodium levels in the blood). In a dog this size, I would not expect you to see a problem if it was one bite of a necklace. The majority of toxicity cases are when owners give multiple teaspoons of straight salt trying to induce vomiting in a dog.

If you see vomiting within the next 10-15 minutes, that wouldn't be too unexpected. If you don't, then for sure it wasn't enough to cause issues. If you see vomiting, then I would watch her closely for 2-4 hours. If you notice any neurologic signs (incoordination, falling over, muscle tremors) then get to a vet for IV fluid therapy to normalize the sodium.

I don't think you'll end up having any issues given the amount and her size.