Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm so stressed out!, my vet is out of town and my dog who

Customer Question

hi I'm so stressed out!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: my vet is out of town and my dog who is an 11 yr old beagle mix has CHF
JA: Where does your beagle seem to hurt?
Customer: he was up coughing all night
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: otherwise he's fine Buster
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your beagle?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buster. Which medications is he currently being administered, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for replying so quickly
He is on lasix – 75mg 3x per day
Benazapril 5mg 2x per day
Vetmedin 5mg 2x per dayhe’s on another diuretic 1/2 tab at night but I’m sorry I don’t have the name with me, I get it at CVS.

Thank you for the additional information. Always reach for the diuretic first if you're concerned that Buster is decompensating. He's already on quite a dose of Lasix and I suspect that the other diuretic is spironolactone. This concerns me that he may not be able to respond to a temporary increase in his diuretic dosing but that's your best bet at home. How much does Buster weigh, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
33 lbs

Thank you. Initially, a dose of Lasix (furosemide) at 0.5 - 2 mg/lb is administered when pulmonary edema is detected. 75 mg/33 lbs = 2.3 mg/lb - already a high dose but if Buster is decompensating, I recommend doubling the dose to 150 mg thrice daily until you can speak to Buster's vet.

The recommended dose of spironolactone ranges from 0.25 - 2 mg/lb once daily or ~10 - 40 mg once daily for Buster. Whether any clinical benefit is derived from spironolactone is controversial but I've had success with it when ascites is refractory to Lasix. If that 1/2 tab is hydrochlorothiazide instead of spironolactone, it's usually dosed at 1 mg/lb every other day.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
awesome thank you so much!!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?