Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation, though.
What are you bathing him with?
What flea preventative are you using? Has he been on it every month for at least 6 months?
What did you use to treat the yard and house?
Thanks for the information. First and foremost, I would stop the flea shampoo. It will inactivate and wash off the Advantix and Frontline. You should only be using a hypoallergenic or oatmeal based shampoo with those topicals. Better yet, I would probably get them on an oral flea preventative, like Comfortis or Nexguard. They have a faster kill, and it won't matter if you use a flea and tick shampoo. The oral preventatives tend to do a better job. The fleas don't die right away with the Advantix and Frontline, so they still have time to lay eggs. They will die almost instantly when they bite with the oral preventative, leaving them no time to reproduce. Plus those topicals aren't lasting the full 4 weeks. Breaking that life cycle is the most important thing. Those adult fleas that you can see are only 5% of the population. The other 95% are in the immature forms (i.e.; eggs, larvae and pupae). They can take a couple months to get rid of. Treating the yard and home is a very good first step. Sometimes, it needs to be done a month or two later. When you vacuum, make sure you empty the bag or canister outside. If you empty inside, that dust that escapes can float eggs back into the house. It does take about 2-3 months to get fleas under control. Baxter probably has a bigger problem with the fleas because he is allergic to the flea saliva. That tends to be the case when one pet looks more affected than the others. You are really doing a good job here. I would just seriously consider getting on a better oral preventative. If you have a lot of stray cats or some other wild animals around your area, it may be more difficult to control as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
No, you can only get them through a prescription from a vet, but they are much better products and well worth it.
As far as over the counter products, the Advantix and Frontline are really the best options. You can see if you can find Vectra 3D online, but you may not be able to. It is a very good topical and is not a prescription, but it is only supposed to be sold through a vet. See if you can find a vet around your area that will give a free exam for first time clients. You may be surprised. Hope this helps.