Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My name is ***** ***** My issue is all three of my

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** My issue is all three of my Dalmatians are licking around the tail area creating a huge red stain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: They all have been on the same food for over three years with no,problem The only thing I have added in the past few months is coconut oil virgin and organic
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very disappointed
I was under the impression I would be connected immediately
I now have already paid and hope this is not a monthly charge because I never even received an answer.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get to your question.

Dalmations have very sensitive skin and the licking at certain areas causes irritation that makes the skin even more irritated and so on and so on. This causes a staph infection. The treatment for these , often called Hot Spots, is applying Betadine to this area every 6 hrs. This will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow. If they continue to lick, you may have to purchase Elizabethan Collars at the pet store to keep your dogs away from this area so it can heal.

Your vet will have other treatments such as steroids which will stop the irritation so your dogs leave this area alone to heal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Betadine will further stain
These are show Dalmatians
I need to find cause
Is it possible something other then staff
There is no evidence of this

can you send a picture of these lesions? I may not have a good idea of this condition.

If you cannot send a picture, I often prescribe Gentocin Spray for irritated areas such as I think you are describing...it is clear and will resolve these lesions within a few days. You will have to ask your vet for this but there is no staining and it is quite effective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me clarify myself.
There are no lesions or open sores
The problem is simply the dogs are licking the area around their tail and the saliva from their mouth is staining the white hair reddish brown.
I would gladly send you a picture if you would let me know how to do that.
Thank you

Yes, that can happen with dalmations. There is an attachment showing as the paper clip letting you add an attachment...I would LOVE to see a picture because this is hard for me to really answer your question without seeing the lesions. Thanks!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta