Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog ate a plastic bag. She got sick through the night and

Customer Question

My dog ate a plastic bag. She got sick through the night and has passed at least part of it. What should I do? Should I feed her?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The dog ate a plastic bag. She was sick overnight, poopimg, maybe vomiting. She has passed at least part of it. She is pacing a little, but seems okay. Should I feed her?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm going to say that my best recommendation here at this time is to have your vet check her over to see if this may or may not be a more critical situation. At this time, the unknown is if there is a blockage present from the rest of the plastic bag. Could there be an obstruction present that needs further intervention by your vet? They can use a physical exam and some x-rays of the belly to shed more evidence on this. They may then want to do a dye study called a barium series to see if there is any further indication of a blockage. With long skinny material like a plastic bag, I get worried about the possibility of a linear foreign body type situation. These can be bad pretty fast. The sooner they are identified and corrected, the better. Could she have passed some and the rest is passing? That is the unknown. If an owner had no access to vet care, then they would be in a position to attempt to feed and see what happens. Further vomiting, lack of eating, or abdominal discomfort would all be very worrisome in those situations.