Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My doc a belgian shepherd is caughing like crazy i am scared

Customer Question

hello my doc a belgian shepherd is caughing like crazy i am scared i just rapatried him from nigeria
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my dog a velgian deperd is cauphing a lot a just got him he is a resue dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been coughing?

Is he bringing anything up?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he has been coughing for two days
no bringing anything so far
the gum is pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on your description of Gogolo's coughing, the most common reason for these signs in a young dog would be a viral or bacterial upper airway infection. As well, we could also see this associated with heartworm, lungworm, and heart disease (less likely here).

Now with these signs and since he is newly rescued, we do need to have him checked by his local vet. They can listen to his chest, heart, and airway to determine if this is an infection or anything more. Depending on their findings, they will be able to dispense antibiotics for bacterial concerns and advise you if anything else is present and needs to be treated.

In the meantime, to soothe his poor throat, you can try a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and coughing for him.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for the signs you are seeing. Still, as he is a young dog with a severe and sudden cough, the above infectious agents are our main worry here .Therefore, you can use the above to soothe his cough but we will likely need at least a course of antibiotics from his local vet to settle this completely for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service, as this is the only way I am credited for aiding your today.. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gogolo. How is everything going?
nekovet